| Home | Patients | Professionals | Network #17 Publications | Disclaimer |
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Network Program Strategic Goals
In accordance with the legislative mandate for the ESRD Network program; to assist CMS in meeting Agency goals (e.g., ensuring the right care for every person every time); and in keeping with sound medical practice, thestrategic goals of the ESRD Network Program are to:
For information about the national ESRD program you may visit the Forum of Renal Network's Web site or the National End Stage Renal Disease Network Coordinating Center (NCC)
About Network 17
17 is involved in the assurance of quality care to individuals
with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD), and also in the collection
and validation of information about and treatment of persons with
The Network Council is a major advisory committee to Network 17 and includes representatives from: all Network dialysis and transplant facilities; professional disciplines involved in renal care; agencies involved in the treatment of kidney disease; and patients who want to have a Network voice.
Most of the Network's outreach is accomplished through volunteers, health care professionals who deal with kidney disease (physicians, nurses, dieticians, social workers, technicians, administrators), as well as patients. These volunteers work through the Medical Review Board, the Education Committee, the Board of Directors, and the Patient Leadership Committee. If you are interested in becoming a Network volunteer, or a member of a Network Committee, please contact the Network at 415-897-2400.
Network 17 does not handle issues dealing with money, payment of bills, or state or federal licensure or certification issues.
In case of emergencies such as natural disasters we encourage providers to review the CMS Publication - Emergency Preparedness for Dialysis Facilities - Second Edition.
All board members serve with no compensation other than travel reimbursement for meeting attendance. Board appointments are made throughout the year and vary depending on the needs of the organization. Typically one-third of the BOD members are appointed each year. If you are interested in volunteering for the Network 15/17 Board of Directors, please contact call 415-897-2400 for additional information.
ESRD Network Goals
1. To facilitate optimal care to all ESRD patients working in cooperation with facilities' internal quality improvement programs and through the support of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Health Care Quality Initiative (HCQIP); CMS's definition of quality care under the HCQIP includes access to care, appropriateness of care, desired outcomes of care and consumer satisfaction.
2. To sustain the Network 17 administrative framework to optimally plan, implement and evaluate Network responsibilities and goals and to complete all CMS contract requirements;
3. To maintain a patient-specific medical information system based on the data set required by CMS and to meet and/or exceed all data reporting requirements of CMS; to support CMS goal for the Network program of improving data reporting, reliability and validity between ESRD providers/facilities, Networks and CMS.
4. To promote access to appropriate modalities, including self-care and transplantation;
5. To promote patient knowledge of and involvement in their ESRD care, and to promote patient rehabilitation;
6. To serve as a resource and clearinghouse for information to the renal community including information on patterns, processes and outcomes of care to aid in identifying opportunities for improvement as well as the results of both successful and unsuccessful improvement projects;
7. To assist facilities in developing, implementing, and evaluating intervention strategies to improve patient care and outcomes;
8. To facilitate resolution of patient grievances;
9. To work collaboratively with other organizations to facilitate the improvement of care of ESRD patients;
10. To promote patient-centered care.
We will not obtain personally identifying information about you when you visit our site, unless you choose to provide such information.
While our network will make every attempt to protect the personal information that you share with us, electronic mail is not secure against interception. If your communication is very sensitive, or includes personal information such as your social security number or medical history, you may want to send it by postal mail instead.
The information you send through e-mail may be shared with other networks, CMS, or Medicare if applicable and with your permission. It will not be shared with any other third parties.
Your information will be used for such purposes as described at the point of collection.
We may occasionally update this policy. Notice of revisions will be posted here.
The mission of ESRD Network 17 is facilitate inprovement of quality of care provided to ESRD patients.